Saturday 1 December 2012

A journey to space!

So my friend's son has just turned 7, and I was asked to make some cupcakes for him to take to school to share with his friends. Excited about doing this, I asked her what kinds of things he likes. She told me that he is currently obsessed with all things in space. I wanted to make something extra special for my friend, so thought of all the potential Space themed fondant shapes I could do!

Here's what I made for Aiden to take into school for his 'Space' birthday!

I started with nice and simple yellow stars, but added sanding sugar to (hopefully) make them appear to be twinkling:


Rockets and planets came to mind... Earth was the trickiest of the three (but I hoped it would be the most recognisable). However, when I showed my own kids after they were ready, they thought that my little Antarctica's and Arctic Ocean's looked like great clouds!! ... Oh well.


I was hoping that on a positive side, his teacher would instantly be able to recognise what each of my green 'continents' were! Not sure if that happened, though. They weren't exactly shaped right!

The rockets were a bit tough... I used a rectangular cookie cutter to cut the red fondant, and then trimmed the top into a point. For the 'fire' at the bottom of the rockets, I used my little leaf cutter, and joined two orange leaves together with a bit of water :)


And, of course, the rockets posing for photographic purposes:


From what I heard, the cupcakes were presented to the birthday boy's class at school, and were met with many impressive "Oooh"s and "Aaah"s!! I am really glad he liked them :)


Happy birthday Aiden!

... To infinity, and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment