Monday 30 December 2013

I'm quitting!

So, I've recently been diagnosed with GERD. To live with this, one doctor says that I can have a normal diet, but another says I actually need to be really strict with what I eat, as my body is repairing, and to reduce the risk of further damage to my oesophagus, etc. Well, I have not been really strict. Or even a little bit strict.

Because of this, I've realised recently that I am completely addicted to sugar. I would easily (and often) accidentally eat through a whole packet of lollies and an entire box of ice creams... Sometimes within an hour! I've decided that I need to do something about it. And so, I'm going to give up sugar (just for a month!) in the new year.


For me, this "sugar" includes lollies, chocolates, biscuits, cakes, ice cream, and soft drinks - everything that sugar is added to, either physically by me when I cook, or is already part of the main ingredients. I'm not going super hardcore giving up particular fruits, breads and pastas. No way, José! One step at a time, eh?

I know this won't be easy. I am imagining headaches, unbearable cravings, and constant stress! And that's going to happen on Day #1. January is going to be really hard! But I've researched and researched benefits of cutting sugar out of the diet. My body (and life) will benefit from cleaner eating.

Has anyone else given up sugar? Have you remained sugar-free? How hard was it on a scale of 1 to "Just hand over that chocolate bar or I'll punch you in the face!"? Do you have any tips that might help myself and/or others be successful in giving up sugar?

Here's a poem I stumbled upon the other day:

'Twas the week after Christmas, and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibble, the eggnog I'd taste,
All the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales, there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk, more a lumber)
I'd remember the marvellous meals I'd prepared,
The gravies and sauces, and beef nicely rared...

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese,
And the way that I'd never said "No, thank you, please"
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt,
And prepared once again to battle the dirt...

I said to myself, as only I can
"You can't spend the winter dressed like a man!"
So away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
'Til all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie, not even a lick,
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or cornbread, or pie.
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...
But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle,
No longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all,
And to all a good diet.

Sadly, the author is unknown! I thought it was brilliant, and my favourite line is the carrot one. It reminded me of this picture I've seen floating around the internet, too:


So... Is anyone else keen to join me
on this quest for better health in January??

No comments:

Post a Comment